Dear KDM Community,
Welcome to the upcoming 2021-2022 school year. We are excited to have your child back to school for what is looking to be an amazing year! As we look to reunite and welcome students back to school for the year, there are still many questions which we acknowledge creates some anxiety for you and us. We thank all of you who have been on this wild ride with us the last year and half for your positive support.
The first day of school is September 9th and although the school year will look a bit different, rest assured the love, support, and enthusiasm from our staff and teachers will remain the same. We are committed to continuing to provide academic, social, and emotional success for all.
As always safety of our students and staff remains our top priority and we are doing our best to balance the requirements from the federal / state governments as well as abide by guidance from local health departments, CDC, and still follow our district policies. As information changes, so do our plans. Due to these unique times, we appreciate your patience as we adjust our protocols and procedures to do what is in our best interest for our students.
KDM is excited about the completion of our new water treatment system. With the final steps underway we need to redirect cars for parent drop off. Parents will enter the driveway next to transportation and come down the hill. Please follow the cones to the corner of the school where drop off typically is. We are going to try and make drop off as quick as possible as we do not want traffic to back up Green Pond Road. There will be plenty of staff to help direct parents and greet students with smiles and a warm welcome. This will be temporary and we will resume our typical routine for drop off as soon as possible.
For parents picking up students at the end of the school day, please use the visitors spots in the front lot or the parking lot across the street.
The following is a brief ‘cheat ’sheet for you to use as a quick reference guide.
- We will share student schedules and teacher info with all families September 1st.
- Face coverings will be required for all students to ride our busses. No mask, no entry.
- Required for all students and staff. No bandanas or gaiters
- Throughout the day, students will wear/remove their masks per the teachers instructions
- We recommend each child bring several spare masks in a bag with their name
- They will also continue to offer before and after care at the designated schools.
- Students will wash or sanitize their hands prior to and after consuming food.
- All classrooms will be considered nut free food environments.
- Kindergarten will eat in their classrooms, grades 1-5 will eat in the gym/cafeteria.
- Recess will occur daily so that students are able to run, play and get fresh air.
- No visitors are permitted inside the school unless there is an emergency and with an appointment.
- All visitors will be required to wear a face covering and will only be granted access to the lobby area.
- Visitors will sign in with our Class III Police Officer.
Field Trips, Extracurricular Activities, & Use of Facilities Outside of School Hours:
- Rockaway Township School District will not permit any student field trips at the start of the school year. We will reassess this as the year goes on.
- As always we are encouraging our teachers to make the most of our outdoor spaces for instruction, where possible (courtyard, picnic areas, etc.)
Back to school Night
- For this school year it will be virtual, the date is 9/28.
- Note the dates on the district calendar
- They will be virtual
- All conference days will be a student early dismissal day.
A/C and windows
- We have Air Conditioning Units in our classrooms, so with these units and our encouragement of opening windows, we do not anticipate any issues with ventilation.
- Attendance is an essential component to a student’s academic success. We expect the same standards of attendance whether a student is in person, or online.
SEL/ Mental Health
- Weekly SEL lessons will continue this school year.
- The bottom part of our water fountains will be restricted so that only the contactless refillable section will be accessible. Please send your child in with a water bottle labeled with their name that they can use and refill as needed. There will also be water bottles available and filtered water in the nurse's office to refill.
- Will be your means of accessing your child’s report card, grades etc. and will provide a more timely method of communicating valuable information about and for your child/ren. Please make sure you access your account and update your email/phone number if needed.
Genesis Parent Portal:
As conditions of this pandemic change we will likely receive updated guidance/directives and protocols from federal, state and local sources and we will be ready to adjust our plans accordingly.
Thank you for your partnership.
Important Dates to Remember:
September 9, 2021 (Thursday): First Day of School!!
September 16, 2021 (Thursday): School Closed
September 28, 2021: Back to School Night (Virtual)